Sunday, January 17, 2010

Weigh-in

Over the past week there have been various reminders for me to follow through on what I mentioned in my last entry. It seems like every other commercial on television is for something having to do with dieting and/or exercise, as well as fitness and toning of the body. There is an entire slate of "Special K" products, as well as various weight loss organizations to join for help and support.

What was following me the most, it appeared, were three DVD fitness programs, infomercials. These appear with regular frequency, or at least seem to. The ones that I have noticed the most lately have been aimed at men and women who are tired of being couch potatoes, or worse. Specifically, these are for the "P90X," "Hip Hop Abs," and "Insanity" workout courses.

The thought of me getting in shape through a set of routines accompanied to hip hop music is more than I can put into words. What comes to mind are images so frightening and upsetting, that should these be performed in a formal class setting, in public, there will be cries of anguish and protest in the name of humanity that I immediately stop. Suffice it to say that a sense of grace and rhythm are not my defining characteristics, something that has been pointed out to me more than a few times in martial arts training, fitness classes, social gatherings, etc.

Rather than dwell on the depressing, there are other items in life to think about. According to the reading on the scale, I currently weigh 166.3 lbs, at a height of 5 feet 10 inches. After thinking about what would be realistic and practical in a regular and consistent program, complementing my martial arts training, a regimine including aerobic, plyometrics, and weight training would be best for me. I'm going to look at a couple of programs, and start one in February. I've already bought the P90X product, so time to get ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment